Remo’s Head Baker, the First to Make Cronuts in South Africa!
Local, talented Durbanite Venessa Smith is the Head Baker at Remo’s and is proudly, the first Baker in South Africa to make cronuts.
If you don’t know what a cronut is, a Cronut is a croissant-doughnut pastry invented and trademarked by Dominique Ansel at his Bakery in New York City. The pastry is made by deep frying the laminated dough.The fried pastry is then sugared, filled, and glazed.In December 2013, Time magazine named the cronut as one of the “25 Best Inventions” of 2013!
We met with Venessa at the Remo’s in Mount Edgecombe to find out what the craze was all about and the amazing journey of the Cronut.
Venessa grew up in the catering industry and spent all her time cooking and baking. This talented self-taught baker joined the Remo’s team 18 months ago and is obsessed with following latest trends, innovative baking ideas and specialty cakes.
“I follow Dominique Ansell on Instagram and saw the hype around the Cronut in New York. People were standing in queues for hours to get their hands on a Cronut which cost $5 each!”
“So last year, three weeks after Ansell made them, I became so fascinated by the concept, I decided to try it myself and see what the craze was about”, said Smith.
Suprisingly it took Venessa just one batch to get the concept right but another two months to transfer the skill to the team to produce the BEST Cronut ever!
“We make about 60 a day and they are sold out in a few hours. The Remo’s bakery cannot keep up with the demand.”
The Cronut however takes 2 days to prepare and involves the following process:
– Pastry is made from scratch with 100% real butter, local free range eggs and stone-ground flour which is preservative and GMO free
– The Lamination Process takes about three hours
– The dough then rests and stays in the fridge overnight
– It is rolled out in the morning, folded, cut and left to proof and rise
– After the Cronut is deep fried, it is brushed with sugar syrup and rolled in cinnamon sugar
– A custard which is made from scratch is then injected into the Cronut
– Then finally the toppings are put on the masterpiece
“It is an art and requires skill, patience and an obsession with getting things perfect, that makes the Perfect Cronut.” Said Venessa.
Here are the decadent Toppings Venessa makes for her Cronuts:
– The Signature Peanut Butter Frosting made with cream cheese which gets drizzled with dark chocolate ganache (her favourite)
– Bar one
– Amaretto White chocolate ganache with roasted almonds
– Strawberry Cheesecake
– Rocky Road
– Frangelico Dark chocolate ganache with roasted hazelnuts
– Oreo traditional
– Oreo Cheesecake
– Frosted Marshmallow
– Peppermint Crisp Tart
– Black Forest
– Salted Caramel Banana Flavour
Giveway – Do you want to try the Cronut?
We are giving away a box of 4 cronuts to 5 of out Fans. All you need to do is tell us what your favourite Cronut flavour is on the Facebook comment section of the article.
The Cronuts are sold for R35 each and are available at the Mount Edgecombe, Umhlanga and JHB stores.
“Customers are more than welcome to phone in with orders as they are sold out within hours,” said Venessa.
Remo’s Contacts are:
Tel: Remo’s Villaggio (Umhlanga Village) 031-561 7143
Remo’s Originale (Mount Edgecombe) 031-539 5955
Facebook: Remo’s Fratelli