With blue skies, early sunrises and sunsets, summer months don’t get better than this, providing the perfect setting to take dining outdoors. There’s nothing like spending a day out enjoying the great weather, taking to the beach or the local park, paired with a picnic blanket.
It’s also the season where one wants to engage in more physical activity and what better time before tucking into picnic fare or some alfresco dining. Build up an appetite by perhaps kicking a ball, playing a game of cricket or heading into the sea for a surf or swim. For your next picnic, why not go beyond packed sandwiches (sarmies), packets of crisps and a few litres of “junk juice”. (coke etc)
There are so many impressive picnic recipes that will enliven any outdoor outing. Similar to hosting an indoor luncheon or brunch, you want to ensure that you minimize the stress, but be rewarded with lots of praise for your picnic meal ideas when ditching the dining room and taking it outside.
We at Blue Strawberry believe that during the summer, people should avoid dining in the dreary indoors and opt to dine outdoors when the weather is sunny. Plus, nothing feels more luxurious than a well-packed “gourmet” picnic in hand.
When prepping for the picnic, gather some wicker baskets, hand me down blankets and very importantly, use this opportunity to go green by adding paper plates, paper straws and paper napkins that are biodegradable. But most importantly, it’s also down to the grub.
Blue strawberry has put together some out of the box recipes that are just perfect for your next culinary outing.
1) Chicken liver pate with bread sticks are great to snack on over a few classy iced drinks
2) Prawn and avocado Vietnamese summer rolls – Fill the rice paper rolls provided, with prawns, avocado, chilli, ginger, shredded carrots and possibly some noodles. Serve with a sweet chilli sauce as a dip.
3) Mini picnic frittatas, so easy to bake up before the outing. Mix up two eggs, with frozen peas, feta, roasted chopped up red peppers, basil, some ham or chorizo and spring onions. Pour into muffin trays bake up and pack up to go.
4) Jam jar salads are so in and why not go Middle Eastern. Use Bulgar wheat or cous cous, and include mint, cucumber, feta, some lettuce, roasted peppers, and cooked beetroot. Packed with fresh ingredients and when getting ready to tuck in add your favourite dressing of olive oil, crushed garlic etc.
5) Our all-time favourite has to be antipasto skewers. Anything on a stick is easy to serve and even easier to scoff down. Alternate olives, salami, block of cheese and cherry tomatoes. They will be gone before you blink. Also look at fruit skewers featuring pineapple, grapes, strawberry, kiwi fruit, showcasing a whole lot of summer colours making for a very pretty display. Perfect low calorie dessert!!
6) For those with a super sweet tooth, you are not forgotten. Fairy cakes are just so fabulous or whip up a simple vanilla cake which will be loved by those who enjoy a dessert and those who don’t share the love for sweets – is that even possible.
So next time you head out for a picnic, make it special. So if you planning on doing something different for the office end of year… why not do a picnic, call Blue Strawberry caterers to whip up gourmet options and deliver. Contact them on 0315791463 or visit them at www.bluestrawberry.co.za