The “Nicest guys in Cricket”, South Africa: We still have the greatest team in the world!!
On the field, we all know that the South Africans play hard. But off the field, they’re a bunch of softies and heroes to many and the recent statement from our Captain, left us in tears:
”The most disappointing part of this loss is the fact that we have let all of our fans and supporters down. As much as we are hurting, we also know that every single supporter who has been with us on this journey will be hurting too. Each time we were out in the middle we knew there were many South Africans up early to watch us – we appreciate that. The support from back home has meant a great deal to us as a team, we wouldn’t have gotten this far without it.’’ – AB de Villiers
And even though it was heart-break and despair for South Africa, when we failed at our fourth attempt to reach the Cricket World Cup final, our Proteas are the nicest guys in cricket!
The team has been receiving praise and recognition for their efforts, because the South African team is known for being a bunch of the “nicest guys” in the world of cricket.
Former South Africa all-rounder Jacques Kallis, ” What a great game of cricket. SA did not lose that game. NZ won it. Well played NZ. And to the Proteas you can be proud of your campaign.”
Former Australia spinner Shane Warne, “Please hold your heads high South Africa, you’ve done everyone proud as you gave it absolutely everything. Congratulations to the NZ team who were outstanding in their run chase. NZ held their nerve and are through to their first World Cup final.”
De Villiers even took on the heartache of a nation, saying the team felt the pain of the people back home. “We so badly wanted to take that trophy back home, but I guess life moves on.” But right now he does not know where the road to recovery even starts.
“I have absolutely no idea what to do from here on in. I don’t even know when we’re going home. It’s going to take some time to get over this,” de Villiers said. “As a captain, I’ll be there for the guys as much as I can, but there is nothing you can do about it now.” Nothing, because everything has been done. And this time even everything was not enough.
So we decided to look at what our Proteas do other than cricket, and even though South Africa did not win the World Cup, we have the “nicest guys in cricket”!!:
1. The Proteas have some of the best fans in the world, and the team appreciate each and every one them.
2. Youngster Kieron Adams is a huge fan of Hashim Amla, and an unexpected surprise was waiting him:
3. Hashim Amla leaves his biggest fan with some words of wisdom….
4. …..but he couldn’t leave him without a game of cricket!
5. An experience that Kieron will treasure for the rest of his life.
6. The South African team have a strong bond and this is what unites them to spread goodwill.
7. Ex-captain Graeme Smith appreciates the unity of his team.
8. When the country is in need, the team lend a helping hand…
9. The individual team members have their own remarkable charity projects.
10. Ex-Protea Mark Boucher devotes his time to rhino activism as South Africa battles with escalating poaching figures. Boucher and South African Breweries (SAB) launched the non-profit SAB-Boucher Conservation in October 2012.
11. JP Duminy also has his own Foundation. Founded in 2014, JP21 project is dedicated to revitalising the game of cricket in under-developed communities andschools.
12. The Proteas played in their all-pink kit for matches in support of breast cancer awareness.
To the South African team, well played, you have not let us down – We salute you!!