Top 10 Vegetarian Dishes in Durban that you have got to try out!!
It seems like the Meat Free Monday trend has become very popular recently, and after receiving many queries and requests for great vegetarian food, we decided to go on the hunt for Durban’s Best Vegetarian dishes.
Now even though some of our fans requested we feature vegetarian restaurants, we decided to rather focus on the best veggie options on menus that serve both meat and veg. Our expert panel consisted of four Durbanites who have been vegetarians for the past twenty years. They have also visited over 20 countries sampling food from Australia to Zurich, with a palate that has experienced cuisine at Michelin Star restaurants to street food in Hong Kong!
So from starters to mains here is our list of the Top 10 Vegetarian Dishes in Durban:
1. Paneer Curry – Brittania Hotel’s Capsicum Restaurant, Umgeni Road Durban
Cubes of homemade Paneer in a flavourful, spicy tomato gravy or try the Paneer Peri Peri. Divine!
2. Vegetarian Thai Green Curry – Wok Box, Durban North
Fresh, crunchy vegetables in a flavourful Thai curry sauce.
3. Melanzane Rosti – Al Firenze Restaurant, La Lucia
Roasted brinjals slices marinated in olive oil, vinegar, garlic & touch of chilli
4. Spicy Walnut – China Plate Chinese Restaurant, Durban North
Sweet and Sour, Spicy Walnuts
5. Vegetarian Tasting Platter – Greedy Buddha, Opposite Gateway Shopping Centre
The tasting menu offers you a choice of each of our signature Vegetarian dishes. Just ask your waitron for details.
6. Penne Romana – Spiga D’oro Florida Road, Durban
Garlic, chilli, mushrooms, napoletana sauce with cream.
7. Butternut Capppucino – Bel Punto, Umdloti
Cappuccino di Zucca – Butternut soup finished with a chive froth.
8. Vegetariana Pizza – La Casa Nostra, Umdloti
Mozzarella, tomato, green pepper, onion, mushrooms, capers, artichokes and olives.
9. Mushroom Veggie Burger – Ebb and Flo Gateway Shopping Centre, Umhlanga
Delicious, succulent Veggie Burger – Big enough for two!
10. Bombay Aloo – Thava Restaurant, Ballito
Pieces of potato boiled then fried and garnished with mustard seeds and fried coconut.
If there are any other vegetarian food that you think is good enough to feature on our list please let us know in the comments below.